Tuesday, April 18, 2017

March Meeting Minutes

SMHS Booster Club Meeting Notes
March 2017
7 pm – SMHS Room M3

Present: Tracy Grzanna, Joanne Palin, Laurie Balch, Brooke Harrell, Jen Frederick, Sharon Parsons, Lela Emery, Robyn Bennett

Review of January Minutes
Discussion:   January Minutes were reviewed and unanimously accepted

Treasurer’s Report – Tracy Grzanna
Discussion:
·         Current balances – Savings $7,559.20  Checking  $1,336.34
·         Tracey reported concession stand purchases and sales deposits of $2,083.75 expenses of $1,048.18 for a profit of $1,035.57

Notes: State forms are complete and have been filed

Concession Stand – Lela mentioned the value of opening the Concession Stand at the Sherburne Gym during Recreation Basketball games on Saturday mornings. Contact Scott Blewitt in November for the home game schedules all grades Boys & Girls. The total sales of the Saturdays totaled $397.50. One Saturday before Christmas was cancelled due to weather. No hotdogs, popcorn or coffee were available for sale. Food sales were just candy and drinks. One weekend Lela bought two dozen donuts and sold them. It was pointed out that the Elementary student parents only have the opportunity to buy spirit wear with the Booster Club at this time as the only other time these items are available is at night during varsity basketball games.

Spirit wear – The new t-shirts for the SCES designed by Sharon Thielicke are now available. Not much activity with sales as the concession stand is closed. Laurie Balch shared that the 4th and 5th graders have been invited to the Fisher Cats game to sing the National Anthem. The t-shirts would make for a good unified look for the kids. Laurie is going to find out what the plans are for the event.

Scholarships – A subcommittee was formed to review all scholarship applications and make selections. This group does not include any parents of current seniors. The students’ scholarship application deadline is April 17th. Recipients of the Booster Club scholarship will be revealed at graduation. Booster Club will be awarding four $250.00 scholarships to the class of 2017. Applications, minus names, will be given directly to Laurie Balch for evaluation by the committee.
The committee is made up of:
Laurie Balch, Brooke Harrell, Cherie Cahill, Joanne Palin, and Jess Warkentien

A special request has come to us from Megan Reed. Mrs. Reed is inquiring on the availability of any members helping out with the Renaissance Fair feast. This is a middle school event and Sharon will find out more information.

Request – Sharon noted that the staff and faculty would be meeting soon regarding spring electives. A lot of teachers are involved with this week-long event. The booster club would be willing to offer financial support.  Teachers will be encouraged to submit requests for funding for spring elective courses.

Championship Jackets –New jackets will be ordered for girls who are new to the State Champion team so the Booster Club will anticipate contributing to the purchase of new jackets when asked.

Mr. Frederick organizes a fall food collection event and was sharing information with Sharon. Through operation Hat Trick the Booster Club sponsors a food drive and if they collect 500 lbs. of food the group gets paid $500. The Booster Club will research program ideas to give back to the kids with the proceeds.

Field Concession Stand- The question is if we will open the concession stand through the Baseball/Softball season. In past years the Lions Club has run their snack shack during this sport season. Tracey Grzanna will check in with her neighbor who is in the Lions Club.


No other meetings have been scheduled for the Booster Club at this time. 

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Booster Club Minutes - Jan. 18, 2017

SMHS Booster Club Meeting Notes
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
7pm  - SMHS Room M3

Present: Tracy Grzanna, Joanne Palin, Laurie Balch, Tina Walker, Rene Couitt, Brooke Harrell, Jen Frederick, Jess Warkentien, Cherie Cahill, Pat Halpin, Stephanie Cooney, Sharon Parsons
Agenda Item:   Student Rep.
Discussion:
·         Bethie Coverdale will be our student rep this year, she was unable to attend this meeting
Agenda Item:  Review of November Minutes
Discussion:
·         November minutes were reviewed and unanimously accepted by all
Agenda Item:  Treasurer’s Report – Tracy Grzanna
Discussion:
·         Current balances – Savings  $ 6516.32    Checking  $798.78
·         Sharon reported that she has a deposit to make from the last Concession stand sales
·         A check for $1042.00 was given to Tracy for deposit  (MyLocker percentage)
·         Tracy will give a full report of concession stand purchases and sales at our next meeting

Action Items:  Sharon and Tracy will get together and work on the state forms that are required to file.
Agenda Item:  President’s Report  - Sharon Parsons
Discussion:
·         Sharon called MyLocker because there was a concern that a check for the 12% of sales  has not been received in a long time.  She found out that they had changed it to store credit instead of cash.  Sharon had them change that back to cash and they sent a check for $1042.00 for all that was owed.  Sharon also set up an account where we can view sales on a more regular basis.  We should be getting checks quarterly from them as people make purchases.  It was suggested that we do some more advertising for MyLocker.  A 10% discount code was sent and some posters were printed that are located in the Concession Stand.
·         Concession Stand – Lela has been opening on Saturday mornings for the Rec games, which has helped with the sales.  The coffee maker that we have had for years had broken, Lela donated a newer one, she also picked up some mouth guards to sell.
·         Spiritwear – Sharon Thielicke has been working with Paint n Place with her new design.  The full design we approved at the last meeting was too costly due to all the colors, so Sharon has revised that.  Sharon Parsons had a sample of the SMHS t-shirts that were printed.  The total cost to purchase shirts and print was about $10.  The committee agreed that a retail price of $15 would be good.  Sharon T. is working on taking out some colors for the SCES design and will get that to Paint n Place for printing of the blue children’s shirts.
·         Scholarships – Sharon reported that our Scholarship form has been given to the guidance office to be included in the scholarship packet and on the guidance website.  We will also include it on our Booster website.  The committee agreed that we should ask guidance to take the names off of the application and simply number them before giving them to us to review.  A subcommittee was formed to review all scholarships and make selections. This group does not include any parents of current seniors. 
o   Joanne Palin
o   Jess Warkentien
o   Brooke Harrell
o   Cherie Cahill
o   Laurie Balch
Agenda Item: New Ideas
Discussion:
·         SMHS Open house – Sharon asked if the Booster club would be willing and interested in organizing and providing a cook out for the fall open house.  Laurie mentioned the open house event at the Elementary school that included a cook out at a small cost, she said it was well received and had a great turn out.  The committee was interested in getting the word out to more parents as their kids enter SMHS about the Booster Club.  Discussion will continue.
·         Other Booster Clubs – The committee discussed the idea of looking at other schools and how they run their Booster club, more specifically some of the things they offer their schools.  Sharon talked about looking at some of the needs of the school and its students and working towards filling those needs.  The following were some of the ideas:
o   Providing food/snacks for those in need. 
o   Weekend backpacks full of food for families in need
o   After school program of some sort for those students who stay late
o   Dress clothes closet – manage a closet somewhere in the school that includes dress up clothes for boys and girls for concerts or sports events
·         Speaker – Laurie mentioned that she heard about a possible documentary for the high school students about the use of drugs and alcohol.  She will view and report back.
Action Items: 
·         Sharon will talk to the Administration about the idea of a Dress up closet and brainstorm a location. 
·         Stephanie, Joanne, Jen and Jess will talk with someone at their schools about the Booster club – looking for new ideas.
·         Laurie will view possible documentary and report back.

Next Meeting:  Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 7pm    SMHS room M3

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Booster Club Meeting

SMHS Booster Club Meeting
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
7pm
SMHS  -  Room M3  (Mrs. Parsons' Classroom)

Agenda:

  1. Introduce student rep
  2. Review of November minutes
  3. Treasurer's Report
  4. President's report
    1. Financial update - reports
    2. Spiritwear - 
      1. MyLocker
    3. Concession Stand
  5. New Ideas
    1. Open House Cook out
    2. Discovering the needs of the school - visiting another school Booster Club
  6. Other Discussion